Search This Blog

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Salton Sea 2009

#236 & #237
My brother in law picked me up at the Tucson airport and I was off to the coast! The wind was forecast to blow in Maracopa and Glamis so I drove straight through to the Salton Sea. Depending on if I got a call back from Michael Purdy I was planning to fly either San Diego or the Sea. The only place to stay near Salton City was a very rundown fishing camp full of illegals...I backed the truck up to the door and hoped for the best. The next morning I was at the new site as the sun was coming up ready to fly. There were already 5 or 6 vehicles in the dry camping area, looks like I'm not the only one want to get there early. I met Jim who is Michael Purdy's brother in law.

I got in a couple of flights to test the air. Radical changes in air temp with some minor bumps. The field isn't very well groomed with lots of twigs and medium to large rocks. It's a little early to start criticising but I have the feeling that this site is not going to be the paradise that the "Dome Site" was. The coast to the right of the LZ is clear for about half a mile and to the left there are some abandoned buildings and wires to watch for.


No comments: