Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

No Fly Day...


65 degrees

light and variable turning strong from west

Got to the field by 3. Driving North on C 470 I saw moderately strong air coming from the East by North East. At the Hampden & Simms is was manageable but I soon noticed that it was swinging on a huge ack from south to East To North and back again.

I was a little skittish especially since I had guess that the prevailing wind would be from the East.

There were a couple of spectators watching when I set up to launch and reported that the wind shifted from the west just before I started the motor. The wing came up crooked and collapsed quickly. It's probably a good thing I decided to about. It continued to build and when i unhooked and kited the wing... it was strong and twitchy. Both tips collapsed in a sort of complicated pattern. It looked like it was going to continue building and I wanted no part of a spring air that was being filtered by the Rockies.

Mechanical I'm not sure that using shock cord for the A Assists is the best answer. I suspect that I didn't get the tension equal and it was part of the reason for the bad inflation. Next time hook em up but still get on the A's with your hands!

No comments: