Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

High wind trike landing by Brent

To follow on from the Reverse Trike launch in higher winds to now safely
controlling and collapsing a PG wing after landing with a trike while touching
down in a breeze.

As from my own personal experience I have found that there are quite a few
different options on controlling and collapsing a PG wing while landing in a
slightly stronger breeze with a trike, I also know that some pilots fly with
quick releases and just jettison the wing once safely on the ground, which IMHO
is not such a bad option but requires the task of untangling the mess
afterwards.

I have personally tried quite a few different ways, but the one method I often
use is that immediately upon landing into the oncoming wind, (and while still
moving forwards with all wheels firmly on the ground) I quickly and safely turn
my PPG trike through a 180 Deg turn and try to end up facing the wing, (end up
facing now downwind), as in hopefully turning the trike 180 Degs, relative to
the on coming breeze, and with my both feet placed firm on the ground, to
deflate the wing I quickly use just one (1) "B" Riser to fully stall and
collapse one (1) side of the wing down onto the ground, while I am doing this, I
have now let go of the other opposite toggle (as in letting the other side of
the wing fly) I now quickly pull in on the toggle that is still in my hand
(being the same as the 1 B riser side stalled) by using both hands on that one
side steering line with a hand over hand wrap, this brings the tail quickly in
towards the trike, I have found that this action quickly deflates the wing and
stops you from getting possibly dragged sideways, or rolling over on your side
or possibly down along your landing field.

I have personally found that by collapsing just one side of the wing using just
(1) "B" Riser, it is much easier than trying to fully collapse the wing using
deep brakes or trying to use a full B Riser or C Riser full stall of the
entire wing, as opposed to with just (1) B Riser, as the wing just ends up
flapping out like a flag and lying down flat upon the ground, I have found that
this method is safe and works well.

The most important think that I can say is for you to "Practice" "Practice" and
Practice some more! Try as many different methods as you can possibly think of,
and then use the one method that feels the best for you and for the conditions
on the day.

I believe that to practice these methods all you need to do is just take your
wing and a kiting harness and go out in a nice easy breeze of say about 3 to 5
Knots (4 to 6 mph) and do lots of ground handling by inflating and deflating the
wing in as many different ways as you can possibly think of, you will be amazed
at the many different ways you can kite and then deflate a wing if you use a
little imagination.

Happy trike landings. :-)
Cheers: Brent C.

No comments: