Search This Blog

Thursday, August 4, 2011

503 Titan


Got to the field at 6:30.  John was already up. 
The skies were full of high clouds, blurred and blown at the bottom.  The winds were light from the SW. 


While I was setting up John landed and came downfield to brief me.  He said it was not dangerous but it wasn't much fun either.  Mixing air with lots of surges.  In other words " Active Flying" 

I decided to try it out.  The launch was interesting.  The wing came up to the left,  I was able to right it and when it seemed stable I powered up.  Rolling at a high speed I got enough lift to bring up the front wheel but it didn't feel right.  I powered down a bit ... rolled ...  powered back up and finally lifted off  way down the field. John was right it was smooth for 20 seconds then I'd get pulled, then it would mellow out for a bit until the next patch of mixing air.  There was big lift over the horse ranch and a huge swing south of the LZ.  I decided to call it good and get down.  I wish that I'd had a GPS to track the landing because it was a series of quick drops with long glides in between.

Even though it seemed smooth at the surface the air was disturbed just 20 feet overhead.

Equipment Note:
Order a set of o rings from Michelle for the PPS
Empty the dirt out of the cells

No comments: