Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Powered Paragliding #576 Vance Brand

Yesterday was a no fly day.  I got to the field at 5 and set up at the west end.  The winds were light and I wasn't in a hurry.  By the time I had put on my gear the winds had shifted to the north west which would have me launching over the runway.  Not a good idea.  Rather than drive the trike to the other end of the field I decided to wait and see what was going to happen.  The winds continued to shift north and I could see virga forming.  So ... I laid down on the wing bag and waited some more.  10 minutes later a wind front came through that would have been horrible, had I been flying.  The wind was bouncing between 20 and 30 mph and bouncing between North and West.  I quickly bagged the wing and got it in the cab just as a short rain squall came through.  Who would have figured?  It looked so mild when I arrived. 

This morning was beautiful.  I set up by the skydiver tent and launched on the apron.  I was surprised to see that the wing was slightly wet ... guess I didn't get it bagged as quickly as I thought.  It came up slow and wanted to hang back but I stayed on the "A's" and managed to get into the air.  It took about twice the distance I had expected but with plenty of room to clear the swoop pond.  Nice flight.

No comments: