Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Dumb Chute Story ... Flight #670 Vance Brand




This one I'll be kicking myself for a long time.  The flight was nothing dramatic.  No Balloons ... No Bird strikes ... just a nice AM flight.
BUT... After I landed and bagged the wing I was driving the trike back to the truck and saw Ian was at his hanger so I thought to go over there and shoot the breeze with him.
Well,  as I was along side the truck I tossed the wing off to the side and as soon as I did it I heard that horrible sound of a wing getting parablended.  Apparently it took a bad bounce and I didn't toss it hard enough because the prop sliced right through the wing bag and took out two top panels plus a rip on the bottom.
Another technical note:
The belt has been squealing more the last few flights so I took Terry Lutke's advice and removed the belt, washed it with soapy water and applied conditioner.  Well, now it's not making any noise but I noticed that there was rubber on the pulleys.   Maybe it was the conditioner.  Maybe it's too tight.  I'm going to fly one more flight and evaluate it then.







No comments: