Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Engine Out!

This was a last minute decision.  The winds that were predicted to last into tomorrow had started to mellow. There was a high cloud cover and I thought it just might be flyable at Placida.  After texting Mike Lange that I was planning to fly and pulling on some long pants I jumped into the truck and headed on out.  At the LZ the wind was steady 6 mph out of the North East.  Trying not to waste any time i warmed up the motor, set-up and prepared to launch.  This flight was going to be naked, no GPS, Helmet, GoPro and it turns out..... No ear protection.  Two seconds after launch I realized my mistake and knew it was going to be a short and naked flight. 
This was guaranteed when two seconds after that, the motor died.  I was about 50 feet up and still above landable terrain, so it was a non event to glide into a smooth landing.  I checked the gas tank and discovered the problem was that the fuel had been turned off at the tank.  Probably by Mike when he repaired the cage.  I turned the fuel back on and motored back to the truck.  
What I expect happened was that I burned the fuel that was still in the pipeline during the warm up and there was very little left when I began the launch which was exhausted in seconds at full power.  
Back at the house I ran the motor for several minutes without a burp, so I should be good to go the next time my schedule and weather permits.







Last week Mike had been kind enough to to weld up the damaged cage and replace the nose wheel.  

No comments: