Search This Blog

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Flight 876 ... Playing in the Clouds


The breeze was diagonal to the runway so I set up with the wing almost inside of Frank's hanger.  If the breeze picked up I could have theoretically launched before rolling over Anne's imaginary line.
I was in a bit of a rush and noticed, only after starting the motor, that I had neglected to attach the A assists.  My shoulders were feeling good so I decided to do it the old fashioned way and launch using my hands to pull the A's.  I always hold them anyway so the only difference would be that I would be responsible for the inflation.  

Video of Launch


So.... It might have been a crooked layout or bad line control, but the wing came up radically to the right and it took 3 ossolations before I was finally able to apply power and launch.  So much for good intentions.  I'm sorry Anne, I will try to avoid touching your land but when it affects safety I'll do what's safe.
There were scattered cumulus between 3000 and 5000 moving at 20mph from the WNW.  I  pulled in the trim and spent 15 minutes climbing to 5300.  It was pretty cold so I decided to fly around the clouds rather than getting into them, no sense getting wet as well.  Lovely morning, I watched the morning flights leave Punta Gorda Airport and experimented with the trim.  It was a 10 mph difference from full out to full in and a 85 ft/min difference in the climb or decent.
Landing was spot on.
Video of landing...


No comments: