Search This Blog

Saturday, June 27, 2009

#301 Lucent

Goodbye Lucent...I hardly knew ya







Last night I drove to the Lucent site and discovered that they plowed half of it. The north south "runway" is two thirds shorter. Damn it! I talked with Jerry Kerr and Marek and we decided to go for it anyway.
I got out there at 5:15 with almost nil winds. It built slowly and when Jerry showed up it was light breeze from the south east. I had set up and launched shortly after he arrived and loitered overhead until he got airborne. My launch was a bit unusual I recovered the wing going far right and far left before getting it stabilized. Then... when I did get up and over the grass there was some serious sink and I didn't get above 30 feet up until I was well out over the next field and my first turn was a tad low for my taste.
I circled the field several times to get altitude and wait for Jerry. I did see him take off and noticed that his wing seemed to be "hanging back". I didn't think much of it and circled for a bit longer when it looked like he was planning to stay around the "patch " , I headed off to Chatfield. Great ride, nice air ...bump scale of 2...Flew out over the ol marina and it sure felt great to be back at my first home field. On the way out I did a circle and took a 360 degree panorama series. That's gonna be fun to mess with.
The landing was cool, the wind had come up considerably and I did a quick turn to a short final and landed dead on. Throttle control is getting better. Later Jerry & hit a bad Waffle House, and on the way out I took him to see South Park ....only to find that it has been fenced out and the church doesn't want any stinking paragliders....:(

No comments: