Search This Blog

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Vance Brand #654

Another short bumpy ride.
When I got to the field a little later than usual I thought it might get ratty and it did.  The conditions were consistent with what my friends the balloonists called last week.  It had been hot yesterday and stayed hot over night.  I have no doubt that if I had got out earlier the conditions would have been stable but because of the latent heat and the normal morning down slope of cool air the conditions degraded faster than normally.
The a assists worked better with a little more tension but it makes the inflation feel different and the wing comes up slower.  Also....  It might be a good idea to slack the assists after take off so that if I land into a good breeze I won't have to worry about getting the wing down.  Next time I'm going to try a conventional wall instead of the chevron.  It might be why the wing is slow to come overhead.

After the flight the dog and I went to Carter Lake and watched them raise Duane's Santana.  Very cool.... First divers went down to 140 feet, one with a rebreather and the other with nitrox.  They attached 4 lines to the boat and a crane barge brought her to the surface.  Once up they muscled her upright and pumped her out.  



We finished the day with a visit to the Spirit of flight Museum with Mike and Marsha.
Very cool .... I will return.

No comments: