Search This Blog

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Kayak at Manatee Park and Flight #955 Placida

Got up early and drove down to Manatee Park in Fort Myers.  Unfortunately the put in time had been moved up an hour and I didn't receive the e-mail.  Luckily I wasn't the only one.  We late comers had the place to ourselves.  The water was a couple of degrees shy of optimum for the Manatee but there were a few around and a good time was had by all.



https://youtu.be/k2_szBJcuOQ

After a short paddle I drove over to the Manor rehab facility to visit my friend RJ Hart who is recovering from a bad bicycle accident.  He is hoping to go home next Tuesday after 2 full months incarcerated.  We joked about his upcoming meeting with the surgeon by calling it the "parole board"
.
On the way back from Fort Myers I received a text from Mike Lange that he and Mike Otten were heading off to Placida.  I was surprised that they were going to launch so early in the day.  There was no way that I would be able to get their in time to launch with them but I prefer calmer air anyway.
Arrived at the field about 4:30, the wind was 10+ from the West.  I drove around and found a road that was almost directly into the wind and set-up while an older fellow on his motorcycle watched.  The launch was clean despite several nasty weeds that had pushed through the asphalt.

The flight was good, I caught up with the two Mikes and tooled around the patch for 30 minutes.   It was too late of go for a cross country but there was still a pending sunset.

No camera ...but there really wasn't any structure for the sun to work with.   I did look for the Green Flash though, I imagined the orange flame dying and just as it goes out .... a flash ..... reversing the burnt orange  to a cool lime hue.
I saw it......
Sadly it wasn't the sun burning its dying image on the back of my retina.   I was seeing the after image as it disappeared... fooled my minds eye and cheated death again     :)





No comments: