Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

#360 Chatfield

This morning I woke at 4:30
but couldn't drag my butt out of bed.
Maybe not a first but certainly unusual. I tried to blame it on the weather but no matter how windblown the clouds looked it was calm at the surface and judging from the dirty air over Denver the inversion probably covered the first 1500 feet AGL.
SOME OPPORTUNITIES ARE LOST...MOVE ON
I made up for it with a nice one this afternoon. There were lots of clouds mid day that built and diminished by 5:00pm. I was concerned about the virga dropping all over the place but once again I didn't notice any "puffs" and figured that the virga was too high to be affecting the surface.
After watching and pacing for 45 minutes at the house I said to myself ....What the heck go to the field and if you don't fly ...it won't be the first time. I arrived at 6:00pm, the winds were very light from the SW. The air was warm. It turned to the WNW while I set up and dropped to 1 knot or less.

My take off must have looked pretty bad but I was grinning from ear to ear. It fell to the left and overshot...started to frontal...fell to the right...came back up and when I finally felt good about it...I added some throttle and did a proper run-out. The new Throttle set-up is much better. The Brake toggle is held in the 3rd and 4th finger leaving my index finger and pinkie to work the throttle. I'm sure the control issues will go away as I get used to the low hangpoint.
As bad as it looked I never felt as if it were not recoverable. GO THUMPER!
The air was good 2 or 3 on the bump scale. I didn't travel too far and mostly carved smaller and smaller turns over the patch. One thing that has been bothering me is the left beaner is one inch longer than the right. I was able to equalize them later and I'm glad I was able to take the time to examine it while in flight. The loops in the new footsteering got in the way but I'm not ready to change it until I've flown it some more.
When I started to notice the bumps were getting bigger I turned back to the truck and landed. It was a nice landing, I came in from the North and managed to stay just above the surface for 200 feet even though the grade was ascending. When I set down it was where I wanted to be, maybe a bit close because I almost took out the windsock with the wing. As I was packing up the breeze dropped 10 degrees and picked up. It felt good...It was a no muss ...no fuss flight...just a nice taste of the sky before the cold front blows in. Tomorrow it's forecast to be 23knots at 3:00pm. Think I'll go sailing.

No comments: